Research Thesis Topic
Sustainable Hybrid Composite Sandwich Wall Panel With Natural Fibre Composites As Intermediate Layer
Providing accommodation in a large scale at relatively affordable price has always been a challenging task. The proposed research is aimed at developing a new type of hybrid composite sandwich wall panel that might be manufactured as modular panelised system. The sustainable hybrid concept will be considered where an intermediate layer made from natural fibres composites (NFC) laminate will be introduced. Natural fibres are a major renewable resource material throughout the world specifically in the tropics.
The research work will be focused on four main stages:
1. An investigation of the mechanical properties of a few different types of natural fibre composites that particularly prepared using vacuum bagging method.
2. An examination of structural behaviour of the hybrid sandwich panels under in-plane shear and out-of-plane bending tests.
3. Developing theoretical models to predict the behaviour of the developed hybrid sandwich panels.
4. A numerical modelling to predict the behaviour of the hybrid sandwich panels. Verification of the model and parametric studies.
- Centre for Future Materials
- School of Civil Engineering and Surveying
- Civil Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Please review the admission requirements for the academic program associated with this Thesis Topic